Whoa, can you believe it’s been two weeks since PhoneGap Day EU 2016 in Amsterdam? It was an honor to host members of the PhoneGap community from all over the world at the beautiful Het Compagnietheater. We couldn’t have done it without our partners Web Conferences Amsterdam (the team behind Mobilism).
We had another amazing lineup of speakers for this PhoneGap Day. Our diverse group of speakers came in from all over the world to inform and entertain our attendees. Kerri Shotts got things started off right with an epic talk on Common PhoneGap Gotchas. This talk is a must watch for beginner and advanced PhoneGap Developers.
Remy Sharp gave us a thought provoking talk called State of the Gap in which he posits do we still need PhoneGap? The TL;DR answer is yes but we are still committed to the original goal of PhoneGap which is to cease to exist someday when browsers catch up. Remy followed up his talk with a great blog post with the same title.
We were a little worried that his plane wouldn’t make it in time but we were so happy to be able to have Sani Yusuf fly in from Nigeria. Sani killed it with his talk on how Hybrid Apps Powering African Mobile Solutions. You think you know a lot about mobile development but there are unique challenges when you target your app to other countries and Sani’s talk is so eye opening and informative.
You know, we wished we could have brought over all of our incredible speakers from PhoneGap Day US 2016 but we knew that we had to have Dean Haddock of StoryCorps talk about how users are using the StoryCorps app to share their stories and connect with one another. I dare you to watch the video when it becomes available and not have all of the feels.
We had so many incredible talks so be sure to check out the decks - we’ll be adding more soon! We’ll also be posting the recordings on the blog over the coming weeks so keep an eye out:
- PhoneGap Day kickoff - Simon MacDonald
- Common PhoneGap Gotchas - Kerri Shotts
- Do we still need a server? P2P web applications distribution on mobile landscape - Denis Radin
- Handling the keyboard in hybrid applications - Tim Lancina
- Comparing Dutch Banking App Architectures - Eddy Verbruggen
- Quantifiable performance - Bruce Lefebvre
- Progressive enhancement for mobile apps: exploring the continuum between Cordova and React Native - Martijn Walraven
- Fixing Continuous Delivery for Mobile - Evan Schultz
- The State of the Gap - Remy Sharp
- Using Monaca Cloud to enhance Cordova development - Masahiro Tanaka
- Making Apps for the Big Screen - Niels Leenheer
- What’s new with PhoneGap Build - Brett Rudd
- Simulating Plugins in the Browser - Ryan J Salva
- Hybrid Apps Powering African Mobile Solutions - Sani Yusuf
- Crosswalk Project Empowers PhoneGap Apps - Raphael Kubo Da Costa
- Case Study: StoryCorps App - Dean Haddock
- Closing Remarks - Shazron Abdullah
We kicked off the workshop day with 2 separate tracks so attendees could choose their own adventure whether they wanted to learn more about plugin development or app submission best practices.
Check out the slides and resources from all the workshops below. We’ll be adding the recordings soon!
- PhoneGap Essentials - Holly Schinsky
- Plugins are Everything, and Everything is a Plugin! - Jesse MacFadyen
- Hot Updates of your PhoneGap apps using CodePush and Ionic 2 - Evan Schultz
- Creating the ideal Cordova dev environment - Ryan J Salva
- Augmented reality apps with PhoneGap - Andreas Schacherbauer
- Embedding PhoneGap in a native app - Anis Kadri and Eddy Verbruggen
- App Privacy and Security for PhoneGap Developers - Steve Gill
- PhoneGap Push Notifications - Simon MacDonald
- Learn React with Onsen UI 2 - Masahiro Tanaka
- Developing Cordova apps on Ubuntu devices - David Barth
- PhoneGap Build - Ryan Willoughby
- App Submission - Shazron Abdullah
Big thanks to all of our amazing sponsors!