Are you brand new to PhoneGap? Where do you start? What about PhoneGap Build? There are a ton of resources out there and I’ve pulled it all together to help you get started, get some tips, and figure out where to get help.
The beauty of PhoneGap is that you’re able to reuse your existing web developer skills so you have a shorter learning curve and faster development. It’s based on 100% web standards and backed by large stakeholders like Google, Microsoft, BlackBerry, Intel, and more.
PhoneGap Build Intro
What’s the difference between PhoneGap and Cordova?
In October 2011, PhoneGap was donated to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under the name Apache Cordova. Through the ASF, future PhoneGap development will ensure open stewardship of the project. It will remain free and open source under the Apache License, Version 2.0.
PhoneGap is an open source distribution of Cordova. You may see references to both PhoneGap and Cordova and their names used interchangeably. Think about Cordova’s relationship to PhoneGap like WebKit’s relationship to Safari or Chrome.
Where to begin?
So you’ve got the background, installed PhoneGap, now what? Below are some helpful places to start:
- Get started with our Docs. You’ll find references to all the APIs that PhoneGap supports as well as Getting Started Guides, Command-Line Usage and more. Speak another language? We’d love your help with translations!
- Check out Andrew Trice’s helpful blog post My Workflow for Developing PhoneGap Applications
- The Adobe Developer Connection (ADC) has a series of videos to walk you through the APIs available and how to use them: ADC Presents: PhoneGap
- Christophe Coenraets has a beginner’s tutorial to help you develop your first PhoneGap application.
Found a bug?
Sometimes you might find something that doesn’t look quite right. It might be in the docs or a bug in Cordova itself. Help the community out by flagging the issue. Submit the bug on the Cordova Issue tracker.
What’s the community up to?
The PhoneGap community is large and robust. Find out what they’ve been up to in a variety of places:
- The PhoneGap Featured Apps and Case Studies highlight some notable apps made with PhoneGap and services that integrate with PhoneGap Build. Have you made a PhoneGap app? Submit yours here - The PhoneGap Community Repo shows a monthly breakdown of the PhoneGap events and articles. If you’re organizing a PhoneGap event, speaking on PhoneGap, writing a blog post or have something to share, please add it to the release notes on Github.
- Check out the PhoneGap Events calendar to find out what events we’re sponsoring and where the team is speaking.
- PhoneGap meetups take place all over the world and have different community organizers. Find one close to you or start your own: Meetup.PhoneGap.com
Looking for extra, dedicated PhoneGap support? Check out PhoneGap’s paid support options
Are you a PhoneGap Developer or part of a PhoneGap Dev shop? Maybe you’re looking for a Dev? Check out our new PhoneGap Developer Directory. We have over 700 developers and dev shops in 83 countries listed so far!
Find out what’s happening with PhoneGap and PhoneGap Build with our Newsletter. Don’t worry, we hate spam too and won’t be sharing your info with anyone else.