As you may know, PhoneGap supports the Windows Phone platform including the new capabilities in Windows Phone 8 , including IE 10. We’re excited to announce a fun new challenge from our friends at Microsoft: The PhoneGap Windows Phone Porting Challenge!
Do you have an existing PhoneGap app? Port your PhoneGap app to the Windows Phone Store. Not only will you reach a wider audience to expose your app to, but you could also win some cool prizes! 20 winners in total with 3 grand prize winners who will each receive a Windows Phone 8 and a Surface Pro, and 17 first prize winners receiving a Windows Phone 8. All winning apps will be evaluated for featured slots in the Windows Phone Store, too.
Members of a panel selected from Microsoft, PhoneGap and industry experts will choose 20 winners based on apps that are:
- Easy to use
- Engaging and visually appealing to the user
The challenge started May 20th and you have until June 30th to submit your apps for the Porting Challenge. Winners will be announced July 19th during PhoneGap Day US in Portland, OR. The challenge is open to developers in all countries/regions where Windows Phone Dev Center Registration is availabe. Read the complete rules for all the details before you sign up at http://www.phonegapwpchallenge.com.
Need some help to get started?
- Watch Microsoft’s 5-minute video tutorial that shows you how to set up PhoneGap with Visual Studio, and a few other detailed tutorials. You can also find tips and tricks to adapt WebKit-optimized HTML5 code to Internet Explorer 10, and how to give your app UI a Windows Phone look and feel.
- Read Jesse MacFadyen’s post Apache Cordova and Windows Phone 8 and Developing for Windows Phone 8 in Apache Cordova on how to get started.
- Watch Christophe Coenraets’ video Top 10 Performance Techniques for PhoneGap Applications
- Get inspiration by looking at examples of PhoneGap/Windows Phone apps.
We look forward to seeing what you all create!