The PhoneGap team was thrilled to be back in Amsterdam to celebrate PhoneGap Day EU 2015. We partnered with Web Conferences Amsterdam (the team behind Mobilism) to host hundreds of members from the PhoneGap community and some amazing speakers from around the world to talk about the latest in mobile development.
The conference was held in the beautiful Het Compagnietheater right in the heart of Amsterdam and it was a packed house right from the get go.
We were thrilled to be joined by amazing speakers who brought some of the best content we’ve seen at PhoneGap Day. Michael Brooks kicked off the conference with “PhoneGap 2014 Review” where he covered the last year of PhoneGap development with over 300 releases! Whoa.
We also heard from Syd Lawrence, one of the creators of Snowbuddy, as he offered tips on making high performance PhoneGap apps saying his favorite question he’s asked about Snowbuddy is, “Did you use Swift or Objective-C?”. We learned how to add achievements and leaderboards to your HTML5 game, how to embed webviews into native apps to save time and money and got an in-depth look at Crosswalk, Telerik and the brand new Ubuntu phone.
One of the most popular sessions was by the founders and creators of Ionic Framework, Max Lynch and Ben Sperry. They’re reframing the way we look at hybrid app development and covered ways hybrid technologies give app developers abilities they never had before, resulting in fast, dynamic, successful apps.
Be sure to peruse the presentations decks to catch all of the incredible talks (more slides will be added soon!):
- Michael Brooks - PhoneGap 2014 Review
- Syd Lawrence - Making High Performance PhoneGap Apps
- Martin Kool - Achievement Unlocked
- Anis Kadri - Embedding Natively: The Hybrid Sweet Spot
- Denis Radin - HTML GL - render HTML / CSS via WebGL for 60 FPS and a bit of effects
- Max Lynch/Ben Sperry - Reframing Hybrid
- Niels Leenheer - The Android WebView
- Francesco Balestrieri - Crosswalk: Unleash the fury of web innovation in your Android app today
- Matt May - PhoneGap Accessibility
- Iva Koevska/Sebastian Witalec - The Telerik Platform: Cordova Apps Made Easy (no slide deck as it was a live demo!)
- Claudio Cossio - Luck + Motion: User Growth for your App
- Rupinder Mann - Introducing the Ubuntu Phone
- Simon MacDonald - Push n’ Pull
Day two was our completely sold-out workshop day and was held at Rockstart. There were sessions for everyone whether you are just getting started with PhoneGap or wanting to extend your PhoneGap app with plugins, advanced webviews or tools from around the ecosystem.
- Michael Brooks - Beginner: Intro to PhoneGap
- Holly Schinsky - Intermediate
- David Planella - Ecosystems: Ubuntu - How to use existing HTML5 assets and make them work on Ubuntu
- Anis Kadri - Advanced: Webviews and Plugins
- Francesco Balestieri - Crosswalk: Unleash the fury of web innovation in your Android app today
- Anthony Rumsey - Advanced Enterprise: Intro to PhoneGap Enterprise and AEM Apps
- Sebastian Witalec - Ecosystems: The Telerik platform
And what would PhoneGap Day be without some sweet swag and beer?! We loved meeting members of the PhoneGap EU community at the pub mixer to end the night and we hope everyone got a lot out of the conference and met some cool people as well. It never ceases to amaze us the amazing things you are all doing with PhoneGap. Keep it up!
BIG THANKS to all our awesome sponsors!
Keep an eye out for more news on future PhoneGap days!